La Farme du RailParis, France Environment and Resource efficiency, Local social sustainability, Target groups of housing
La Ferme du Rail is the winner of the Call for Innovative Urban Projects “Réinventer Paris”; launched in November 2014 by the Paris City Hall in the 19th arrondissement. Born from the desire of residents and associations on the neighborhood for an emerging place that combines urban agriculture and solidarity, La Ferme du Rail aims to integrate disadvantaged people to whom it provides, under the impetus of the association Travail & Vie, training in suitable jobs that meet the needs of the city.
La Ferme is a meeting place around urban agriculture, accommodation, training and production. A hybrid project in its uses, the Farm revolves around a community of socially disrupted people and students in horticulture who live at site and further it offers the district a range of attractive services.
- Réinventer Paris
- Travail & Vie
- Bail Pour Tous
- Mairie de Paris
- Republic of France
- Atoll 75
- Action Logement
- FONDATION SOLIDARITE
- Fondation Brageac c/o Fondation Caritas
- Fondation VINCI
- GROUPE RATP
- accommodation: a Housing and Social Reintegration Center with 15 units and a student social residence with 5 units
- a farm: workshops and a production greenhouse, a mushroom farm and cultivated outdoor spaces, in permaculture, aquaponics and agroforestry
- a restaurant: open to the neighborhood, affordable cuisine, local suppliers
Why it works
- Integration of participants and future tenants. mostly societal groups in need, during all construction phases is crucial as the site to a significant part is devoted to the employment of these people.
- Likewise this new workforce is trained in techniques that promote their future employability
- Working with near-by partners in the neighborhood, like restaurants etc., to collect, compose and produce bio-waste, creates local visibility and acceptance for the project and it’s social and environmental cause, attracts new audiences and possibly creates awareness
- The project exceeds mere accommodation purposes and integrates employment, environmentally conscious living and housing